Sunday 11 October 2009

Investors should ignore the economic indicators

Diary of a private investor: investors should ignore the economic indicators
While Enterprise Inns shares have risen mightily from their lows, they are still less than two fifths of the net asset value and, good heavens, the company makes profits.

By James Bartholomew
Published: 12:19PM BST 07 Oct 2009

How do the words of that old Brenda Lee song go? Something like, "Here comes that feeling again, and it ain't right!" That was certainly my experience at the end of last week if you take "ain't right" to mean "ain't pleasant".

Markets around the world started falling in a manner horribly reminiscent of a year ago. It is amazing, incidentally, how world markets move together these days. They are like synchronised swimmers diving together, rising up in unison and twiddling their feet in the air all together.

Anyway my shares went down. I lost money – lots of it. I say this with emphasis for a friend who – to my surprise – turns out to be a reader of this column. I asked him, "which Diaries do you like best then, the ones when I tell of my successes or my flops?" He unhesitatingly opted for the latter. So this is for you, David.

Enterprise Inns fell from 135p to 123p between the opening on that Tuesday and the close on Thursday. A different friend emailed me a gloomy broker's report on the company's bonds. This downer written by a close relation of Eeyore may have played a part in the fall of the stock. Enterprise Inns, by the way, was up at 180p at the beginning of September.

So the shares have fallen 32 per cent since then. I had a quite a fair amount of cash invested in it, too. So that is plenty of money that has vanished. I am afraid though, David, that I am still just about in profit overall but my purchase this summer at a price of 167p looks pretty silly.

The report of doom was by JPMorgan. It dwelt on the pubs that had been closed, the ones that had been sold at prices which the broker thought discouraging and the review by the Office for Fair Trading which will come out later this month concerning whether or not it is fair that the pub tenants of Enterprise Inns have to buy beer supplied by the company.

As if that were not enough, he went on about the still weighty overhang of debt and the possibility of a rights issue. After reading that lot, I felt I might as well write the whole investment off and cancel my next holiday.

But something in me – probably the fact of being long of the stock – revolted. I wrote back to my friend who kindly supplied the research: "Hang on a minute. Aren't we in danger of forgetting the main point?" The main point is that Enterprise Inns is not going bust.

Whether it has a rights issue or not, Enterprise Inns is not a dead parrot. It is not extinct. It still moves and squawks. It may not be pretty but it is going to survive. For some nervous weeks earlier this year the shares were valued as though it had no future. Now it has.

And while the shares have risen mightily from their lows, they are still less than two fifths of the net asset value and, good heavens, the company makes profits. In fact it is valued at a mere four times the consensus forecast earnings. The shares still have great potential. The day after I wrote this robust case, the shares fell 6p. Incidentally, I have also lost money recently in Barratt Developments and Harvey Nash.

What about the market as a whole? It is October – a nerve-racking time and everyone remembers how bad it was last year. Perhaps precisely because investors are nervous of this month they might have held back from purchases in September and the market might survive without too much damage.

But frankly there is not much point in trying to guess stock market movements over a few weeks.

The recent falls have been ascribed by some commentators to disappointment with some figures coming from the real economy. I don't believe that.

Those of us with experience going back to Brenda Lee's glory days have learned that the stock market does not swim synchronously with the real economy. Real activity is down in the depths struggling for air but that will not stop the stock market breaching the surface. A bull market started in 1974 when the economy had quite a few more years of misery to endure.

The key things to watch, I believe are low interest rates and quantitative easing. As long as these continue, so will the bull market.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/6267833/Diary-of-a-private-investor-Investors-should-ignore-the-economic-indicators.html

No comments: